Another Log Search Wish

Help us help you. We all want the product to continually improve, and you the customer can help us with that. Please visit here for ideas about our future roadmaps, schedules etc, and feel free to post your WISHLISTS for our developers and management to read.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

JasonS

Another Log Search Wish

Post by JasonS » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:32 am

Hello MagicSpam,

I had another idea, with the implementation of "hostnames" in the log search, how about the ability to "block" hostnames on the results page.

Jason

magicspam

Re: Another Log Search Wish

Post by magicspam » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:10 pm

Hey Jason,

The ability to blacklist senders based on their hostname has been under consideration for a while but hasn't been implemented due to doubts over the effectiveness. The hostname associated with an IP address is under the control of the server operator and hence can be easily changed at any time. It's not uncommon to see all the hostnames in a network change overnight which means that the same network can continue to send spam to your server. In general we recommend that you blacklist these networks using the IP address, so that the spammer has to use a different network.

As such, the ability to block hostnames through the result page is not possible at this time until we have sufficient reason to first add the ability to blacklist by hostname. However, we have created a development ticket and passed it to the product team for further consideration.

Do you have a specific reason for needing such a feature in MagicSpam? Is there a specific problem that you're facing?

Thanks!
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:41 pm

MagicSpam,

Thank you for the reply, I understand, but you have the same issues with blocking IPs such as Psychz Networks. They have a lot of network blocks and for some reason when I try and block some of the network blocks MagicSpam just says "Invalid Network" ... I posted on the forum about this issue.

Jason

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:32 pm

Hey JasonS,

Understood, we will inform our product team and monitor the situation to determine whether there's enough demand to implement the request feature.

Otherwise please refer to the discussion on the other forum post for more information to workaround the reported issue: Invalid IP Range to Add

Thanks.

visionr_be

Post by visionr_be » Thu May 12, 2022 5:13 am

I'd like to second this question. We are facing a lot of spam from an organisation that seems to switch servers on a daily basis (hence no way to use an IP range of other details to block them) yet they always use a *.xyz hostname for some reason.
I agree it is generally a parameter that is easy to forge but if it's technically possible, then why not let Magicspam users decide whether it works for them? In our case it would take away a considerable amount of spam.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Thu May 12, 2022 1:28 pm

Hello visionr_be,

Thank you for the additional comments, we have updated the development ticket accordingly and brought it to the attention of our product team.

If possible, would you be able to provide us with more information on the spammers using the *.xyz hostname. It will definitely help with our decision making process if we had more concrete examples of real life scenarios where the requested feature could benefit users.

For more information on how to provide us with information, please refer to the following FAQ: How can I get help with uncaught spam?

Return to “Wishlists and Roadmaps”