In this guide, you will learn about the Local SMTP Sender Require Authentication Spam Policy feature, including the following information:
- Local SMTP Sender Require Authentication Spam Policy Feature
- Considerations Before Setting to ON
- Feature Availability
Local SMTP Sender Require Authentication Spam Policy Feature
The Local SMTP Sender Require Authentication Spam Policy blocks inbound email from non-authenticated SMTP sessions when a local sender (sender's email domain is hosted on your server) is specified in the MAIL FROM. Note that the MAIL FROM is different from the From header and more closely relates to the Return-Path header in the email.
This feature helps to prevent domain spoofing when receiving inbound email, which can trick the email account owners on your server into trusting malicious email.
This feature is available on ALL versions (LITE, PLUS and PRO) of MagicSpam, and can only be set at the global level in ALL versions and at the user level in the PRO version through the following interfaces:
- MagicSpam Admin-level Interface >> Anti-Spam >> Spam Policies >> Spam Policy Rule
- MagicSpam User-level Interface >> Spam Settings >> Spam Rule
By default, the Local SMTP Sender Require Authentication Spam Policy is set to OFF on the global level and set to FLAG on the user level.
For more information, please visit the Spam Auditor website.
Considerations Before Setting to ON
Before setting the Local SMTP Sender Require Authentication Spam Policy to ON, you want to ensure that all email clients used by email account owners on your server are configured to perform SMTP authentication when sending to local recipients. For example, let's say that Bob and Alice email accounts are hosted on your server, and Bob wants to send an email to Alice. Bob's email client must authenticate into the SMTP service on your server before sending the email to Alice, otherwise Bob's email will be blocked by MagicSpam.
Note that most modern email clients are configured to authenticate into the SMTP service before sending to a local recipient.
This feature is only available on the PLUS and PRO version of MagicSpam, starting from these versions onwards:
- MagicSpam PRO for Plesk 2.1.16-1
- MagicSpam LITE for Plesk 2.0.23-1
- MagicSpam PRO for cPanel 2.1.15-2
- MagicSpam LITE for cPanel 2.0.10-1
- MagicSpam PRO for DirectAdmin 2.1.14-1
- MagicSpam LITE for DirectAdmin 2.0.10-1
- MagicSpam PRO for InterWorx 2.1.4-1
- MagicSpam LITE for InterWorx 2.0.3-1
- MagicSpam PLUS for MailEnable 2.1.11-1
- MagicSpam LITE for MailEnable 2.0.10-1
- MagicSpam PLUS for Zimbra 2.1.11-1
- MagicSpam LITE for Zimbra 2.0.10-1