Invalid IP Range to Add

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

JasonS

Invalid IP Range to Add

Post by JasonS » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:54 am

Hello,

I have been adding "Psychz Networks" IP blocks because they are habitual spammers. I have been adding their IP blocks as they appear in the "Rate Limiter" and in my junk mail folder, this network is a serious problem and I have reported them several times.

Anyways I have I block that I cannot add, can you please tell me why it keeps throwing "Invalid IP Range to Add" for the range of 45.34.0.0 - 45.35.255.255? I have blocked a lot of their other blocks but this one will not, I am guessing it has something to do with the second octet in the first and second IPs in the range.

Thanks again for your help,
Jason

magicspam

Re: Invalid IP Range to Add

Post by magicspam » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:42 pm

Hello JasonS,

The MagicSpam Sender IP Blacklist only accepts /16 ranges, so you will have to add two separate entries to block their network (45.34.0.0 - 45.35.255.255).

Code: Select all

45.34.0.0 - 45.34.255.255
45.35.0.0 - 45.35.255.255
Hopefully this information will be helpful to you.

Thanks.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Hello MagicSpam,

Why only block the /16 range and not up to /32? I have come across some networks (Psychz Networks) the entire netblock is listed as "Critical" on Talos and it is just easier to get them all with a /32.

I can do the work around you stated, that just doubles up my entries for 1 netblock and I would imagine that would cause more of a load on the filter the longer the list got.

Here is what I am working with:
Network: Psychz Networks
IPs: https://bgp.he.net/AS40676#_prefixes

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:27 pm

Hey JasonS,

Just to make sure that we are on the same page -- a /32 refers to an individual IP address, so you are probably asking about blocking a network larger than a /16 range (e.g. /15 range). In that case, MagicSpam had historically only supported blocking up to /16 ranges as a tradeoff between safety and efficiency -- as we have had users unintentionally blocking networks and negatively impacting their inbound email delivery in the past.

In your case, you will have to continue adding multiple /16 ranges. However, don't worry too much as doubling a /15 range into two /16 ranges will have a negligible effect on performance -- unless you find yourself with many thousands of entries, the blacklist and whitelist checks should never cause any performance issues.

Hopefully this information will be helpful to you.

Thanks.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”