SPAM[check_dynamic_reverse_dns]

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

magicspam

Re: SPAM[check_dynamic_reverse_dns]

Post by magicspam » Fri May 14, 2010 10:15 am

It's certainly odd that you're seeing a regex that catches rzone.de, as that regex has not been approved for release. Please provide the following information so we can better assess the situation:

- MagicSpam version and whether it's qmail or postfix
- Operating system version and 32 or 64-bit
- Are you using any scripts to get updates other than what is included in the MagicSpam package?
- The permissions on the /etc/magicspam/dynaregex/ directory

Please delete the contents of /etc/magicspam/dynaregex/ (but leave the directory in place) and wait for the next update to the packages. Once you have the new files, please send them to support [at] magicspam [dot] com so we can see exactly what your system is receiving.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

jovic

Post by jovic » Mon May 17, 2010 2:01 am

Hi,
yes you were right, we have manually updated the regex files using the update_regex_files tool and mistakenly passed the wrong arguments. Sorry for blaming you. The reason for our experiments was to see, if we can influence the regexes and modify them according to our needs, e.g. to disable the kasserver.com rule.

It would be really helpful, if you would offer an offical way to disable certain regex records, e.g. by providing a third regex file with whitelist entries (whitelist.regexes). You wouldn't even need to make a GUI for it, simply name it an "undocumented expert" option.

Best regards.
Btw.: we are using CentOS 5.4 x64 and Plesk 9.5.2 with qmail.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon May 17, 2010 12:21 pm

I can certainly add a feature-request for the option to disable certain regexes. I cannot guarantee that the feature will be added, but it will definitely be considered. If you would like to open a billable development work order to have that feature created for you, please send an email to sales [at] magicspam [dot] com.

In the mean time, the /etc/hosts option previously mentioned may be the easiest method.

jovic

Post by jovic » Tue May 18, 2010 4:42 am

We would offer to buy at least two more licenses, if you would integrate that feature :-)

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Tue May 18, 2010 2:11 pm

I have passed on your offer to the rest of the support team and the developers. We will definitely be considering it.

peterz

Post by peterz » Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 am

I'm sort of jumping in here because i have used MagicSpam for almost a year now with extraordinary satisfaction.

I just recently moved to a new server, and this gave me a chance to evaluate the default set of rules that MagicSpam uses.
Indeed, when i first installed MagicSpam on the old server, i had quite a few false-positives: most of my clients are in France, and it turns out that French mailservers are not so well configured in general.
However, i had turned on and off so many rules, because i really didn't know what i was doing, that i couldn't remember the default set...

Well, in short, the rule in question check_dynamic_reverse_dns, is the only one i had to disable:
in the last 10 days (since the server has been 'live'), 100% of the messages that were identified by only check_dynamic_reverse_dns were false-positives.
This was not only limited to French hosts (my own webhost's messages were blocked by that rule).

Fighting Spam at the server level is very much a game of compromise between acceptable risk of false-positives and unacceptable quantities of Spam.

Without a doubt, SpamFighter is the best tool i've ever used, bar none.
However, i would suggest you consider removing this list from the default ruleset.

i hope this helps!
Be Well,
Peter

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Wed May 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Thank you for embracing the community spirit and jumping in, Peter!

You mentioned the following:

"Fighting Spam at the server level is very much a game of compromise between acceptable risk of false-positives and unacceptable quantities of Spam."

Until all the server administrators out there are willing to conform to the best practices, there is still a chance of false positives with rules like check_dynamic_reverse_dns. However, the rule does exactly what it was intended to do - stop messages that are coming in from servers that have hostname patterns that have been connected with spam.

snoofer

Post by snoofer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:51 am

I've just like to add my opinion, too. I'm a small hosting company (eight servers) in Germany. Two weeks ago I found MagicSpam and gave it a try on one server.
The first time was great! Spam was reduce a lot. But more and more of my customer were complaining that their partners were not able to send them a message since their mail were rejected of the check_dynamic_reverse_dns rule. So i had to turn this option off and MagicSpam went to be less useful.

The problem is that we have in Germany many large hosting companies which name their customer server like serverid.companyname.de so that they are violating the check_dynamic_reverse_dns rule. There are thousand of servers which are named on that scheme. Sure I can contact each of them and ask to change the dns entry. But this isn't really an option!

It would be best to have a whitelist regex so I can control the rule much better. As mention some posts before a simple text file would be enough. No GUI is needed.

I hope that my post will help to increase the demand and the community can expect an update soon. Otherwise I'll discontinue to use MagicSpam since the most important rule is not working the way it would help.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:05 am

Thank you for your input. The developers have been made aware of the feature request for disabling certain regexes, and I'll be sure to pass along your interest in it as well!

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”