Reducing backscatter?

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

iantresman

Reducing backscatter?

Post by iantresman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:36 pm

I'm using MagicSpam on a Plesk server. All my domains have DKIM and DMARC enabled, but I' found my server IP address on the SpamHaus blacklist. I suspect backscatter.
  1. How can I tell whether backscatter is the cause?
  2. How can I configure MagicSpam to stop backscatter? I don't want to disable email forwarding.

magicspam

Re: Reducing backscatter?

Post by magicspam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am

Hello iantresman,

Thank you for your post.

Please note that backscatter would not be a reason for your IP getting listed on any reputation list.

That said, you should be able to recognize backscattered emails as NDR (Non Delivery Report) messages in the logs, for messages that are being sent back to your customers as spammers are spoofing your customer's email address to invoke backscattering.

Also, messages should be a response from the server/email address that your customer has not emailed previously,

If the backscatter is caused due to email forwarding to remote servers, we would recommend removing forwards, especially because forwarding does not work well due to most of the senders now use SPF, which we suspect might be the main reason for your IP being listed on SpamHaus.

Alternatively, we would be happy to assist you with strengthening your MagicSpam anti-spam protection so that spam emails are blocked fully before being forwarded to remote servers. If you need such assistance, please contact our MagicSpam support team at: support@magicspam.com and provide screenshots of the following tabs in your MagicSpam:

* Anti-Spam / Spam Policies
* Anti-Spam / IP Reputation

and our team would be more than happy to assist you.

We hope this information helps.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”