sender adress verification vs. valid_from_domain check

There will always be opinions, both good and bad on how MagicSpam protection, rules and policies are used, and what the defaults should be. Different environments may have different needs. We try to find the perfect balance, and that is not always easy. Just remember that we have to satisfy millions of users.. not just one person.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

andi

sender adress verification vs. valid_from_domain check

Post by andi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:31 pm

hi,

i'd like to enable 'valid_from_domain' check in magicSpam, but i get into troubles wiht other providers using 'sender adress verification (SAV)' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callback_v ... on#Process).

because of the emtpy envelope, our mailServer with magicSpam rejects this request, an recipient's mailserver is handling our mail as 'sender adress does not exist' and treates it as junk.

according to RFC3834 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3834) emty envelope seems to be possible (MAY be empty) and SAV-using providers are frightened of looping messages if using not-empty envelopes between MTA's using SAV.

i know, neither valid_from_domain nor SAV does reject a lot of mails, because most spam mails are sent with spoofed, but valid adresses. however, i'd like to enable this check - just one check more.

what do you recommend?

regards,
andi

magicspam

Re: sender adress verification vs. valid_from_domain check

Post by magicspam » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks for your post Andi. You (and the wiki article you pointed out) are completely correct - an empty sender address should indeed be permitted. In point of fact this is the standard expected address for a bounce message.

This issue has been escalated to our development team for review and analysis as this particular rule (valid_from_domain) should NOT trigger for empty addresses as this is actually the standard 'from' address for bounce messages. Please note that there is an upcoming expected release of MagicSpam for early December (tentative date Dec. 6th) and we will try our best to ensure that this is fixed.

Could you please post back what MailServer integration your installation of MagicSpam is running on? (ie: Plesk? MailEnable? Qmail? Postfix?)

Thanks!

andi

Post by andi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:50 am

hi,
we are using magicSpam for plesk with qmail and magicSpam for MaileEnable (prof.).

regards,
andi

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:22 am

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Our developers are reviewing and attempting to collate a fix for this behavior. We have an upcoming release of MagicSpam right around the corner, and we will endeavor to apply a fix for this within that release.

Thanks!

andi

Post by andi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:10 am

great news, thank you!

as for magicSpam for plesk i did install 64bit .deb-packagage from parallels.com (magicspam-plesk-1.0.4-9.1-lenny64-9x.amd64.deb).

so how will i be able to update this installations?

regards,
andi

andi

Post by andi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:43 am

hello,
i was able to update without any problems. just using your packages. great!
also 'valid_from_domai_check' works fine with SAV, so far as i know, now - also great.

have NDR-comments been changed or are they the same as before, if i do not define my own NDR-comments?

regards,
andi

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 am

Glad to hear that the package worked for you and SAV is working correctly for that case scenario now.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by NDR comments?

andi

Post by andi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am

hello,
thank you for quick reply.

i meant rejection details like eg.

550-Your message was rejected by this system and was not delivered.
550-Reason: Messages from your location are rejected, missing identifier (HELO). Contact your email administrator
550-Protection provided by: MagicSpam 1.0.5-1 (http://www.magicspam.com/)
550-For more information, please visit the URL:
550-http://www.linuxmagic.com/best_practice ... _helo.html
550 or contact your ISP or mail server operator.

but i just see, that for ip-rules aren't any 'custom rejection' definitions possible.

is there a way to see, which 550-reply one gets, if its mail has been blocked eg. due to 'List ID: 4'?

regards,
andi

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:24 pm

The "default" messagse themselves have not changed - the only thing modified is the ability to set your own (short) messages.

As to replicating / showing the default messages, this is not yet built in (though it is a great idea for a future enhancement!). But.. so you have it...

the default message for IP Reputation list hits (in MagicSpam for Plesk) is:

550-Your message was rejected by this system and was not delivered.
550-Reason: This system uses BMS to check your IP address reputation, and was rejected by the system. IP=(ip address)
550-Protection provided by: MagicSpam 1.0.5-1 (http://www.magicspam.com/)
550-For more information, please visit the URL:
550-http://www.linuxmagic.com/power_of_ip_reputation.html
550 or contact your ISP or mail server operator.

andi

Post by andi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:43 am

hello,

i am just on the way to switch MTAs from qmail to postfix on our plesk 9.x debain 5 64bit servers.
as it looks like, the problem 'sender adress verification vs. valdi_from_domain_check' appears with 'magicspam for postfix (magicspam-plesk-1.0.5-3-lenny64-postfix.amd64.deb) again.

as you can see above, you were able to fix this behaviour for magicspam/qmail. could you fix this isse for magicspam/postfix, too?

regards,
andi

Return to “Discussions on Spam Protection Policies and Default Rules”