Automatic Updates

There will always be opinions, both good and bad on how MagicSpam protection, rules and policies are used, and what the defaults should be. Different environments may have different needs. We try to find the perfect balance, and that is not always easy. Just remember that we have to satisfy millions of users.. not just one person.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

fchivu

Automatic Updates

Post by fchivu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 am

How do I know the automatic updates feature of magicspam works and the definitions, reputation lists and new attack patterns are constantly updated? Is there any place where to check this? I have the impression that more spam messages are passing the filter from one day to another and I want to make sure the automatic updates work.

Thank you.

magicspam

Re: Automatic Updates

Post by magicspam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:57 pm

The full path to the appropriate resources will differ based on which operating system you're using. If you can provide us with that information, we can give you the full path to those resources on your server.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

fchivu

Post by fchivu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:06 pm

I have installed the latest version of magicspam for MailEnable on a Windows 2003 Server. Thanks.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:16 pm

The paths to the files you're referencing are:

(For the regular expressions) c:\magicspam\dynaregex

and

(For the block lists) c:\magicspam\bms

However, you may want to ensure that you are running the latest version of MagicSpam, as the developers have noted (and fixed) an issue in a previous version where the updates were not running, due to an issue with scheduled tasks. We released the updated version which contains the fix a day or two ago.

fchivu

Post by fchivu » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:46 pm

After I have installed the latest version 1.0.4-7.1 the software updates seem to work well now on the server. Great!!! Thank you very much for all your support and keep up the good work!!!

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:20 am

We're glad to hear that everything is working out for you now that you have the newest version!

Thank you for choosing MagicSpam.

GiseleN1974

Reverse DNS

Post by GiseleN1974 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Was just reading this and wondered, can reverse DNS stop spoofing? Weve gotten messages saying our domain name has been blacklisted because someone has used it to send out spam. Or, do you know any way to put a stop to this?

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Can't really comment on that.. is your domain name blacklisted at the IP PTR record level? Domain 'from' level? Or was that just some anti spam software's way of saying someone added you to their personal black list?

As to stopping spoofing - well, there are all kinds of spoofing out there. One of the methods that is undergoing discussion in the industry is the revival of SPF, DKIM, and now DMARC as industry standards - though none of the above will truly be effective until every one adopts the same strategies.

I think that the best thing you can look at doing is ensuring your servers are clean, the domains you host abide by your AUP, and of course due diligence and attention to your active traffic.

Return to “Discussions on Spam Protection Policies and Default Rules”