spamcop and spamhaus support for magicspam?

There will always be opinions, both good and bad on how MagicSpam protection, rules and policies are used, and what the defaults should be. Different environments may have different needs. We try to find the perfect balance, and that is not always easy. Just remember that we have to satisfy millions of users.. not just one person.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

andi

spamcop and spamhaus support for magicspam?

Post by andi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:14 am

hi,
how do you think about spamcop.net and spamhaus.org support for ip reputation checks?

regards,
andi

magicspam

Re: spamcop and spamhaus support for magicspam?

Post by magicspam » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Sorry for the delayed response - we were hoping others might have opinions to chime in with as well :)

Both SpamHaus and SpamCop have a long history in the business - with both within different respective times consistently being one of the top performing lists we tested. However, these respective lists are not ones that we can deterministically include / ship within the MagicSpam product itself as the terms of licensing are based on end usage volume. As such, we can not always know in advance the volumes expected within any given MagicSpam deployment.

This stated, now that SpamRats! lists have reached such a high level of performance, we have been finding the performance to comparable without the need for additional lists.

This stated, you are of course free to enable the SpamHaus and/or SpamCop lists in their RBL forms within your individual mail server configuration (in fact, most MTAs/Suites that MagicSpam integrates with offer simple interfaces for enabling 3rd party RBL services such as these).

We hope this information helps.

andi

Post by andi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:44 am

oh, i see. i thought, they were free of charge.
why can i use them for free directly within mail server configuration, but not in magicspam?

other good RBL would be barracudacentral.org and, as far as i know, for free.

i try to suggest other RBLS, because there are quite a lot of false/positive claims using SORBS and or UCEPROTECT, so there remains only 'spamRATS' as recommended in magicSpam.

regards,
andi

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 am

The 'free' direct usage is 'free' using the direct RBL DNS access - access which is licensed based on usage. For some mail servers traffic is low enough that the maintainers of the RBL lists license access as free. In other cases (and we have seen quite a few) traffic reaches a stage that is deemed as over limit and as such incurs charges. This stated, this is dependent on the individual list and their specific licensing model.

MagicSpam IP Reputation lists are NOT to be confused with RBL DNS lists. The lists in MagicSpam utilize a local cache copy of lists amalgamated by the Maintainers of the MagicSpam Product - or more specifically the product development company LinuxMagic. This is done in order to achieve maximum efficiency in lookup information leaving no dependency on 3rd party services such as the RBL DNS servers and also ensures that the lookups do not in turn generate additional network overhead by launching multiple simultaneous DNS requests per connection. Your MagicSpam subscription gives you regular updates to said lists (along with other backend spam signatures)

For more information on how this technology works, please visit:

http://www.linuxmagic.com/products/bms/what_is_bms

Return to “Discussions on Spam Protection Policies and Default Rules”