MagicSpam Blocking AWS Email Servers and Similar Services

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

cpanel-antispam

MagicSpam Blocking AWS Email Servers and Similar Services

Post by cpanel-antispam » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:44 pm

MagicSpam,

I'm running into that age old problem, of getting too many complaints, of too much legitimate email
being blocked by MagicSpam.

One thing that would EASILY and significantly help this problem, is the request, to be able to cache/store/release emails
that are blocked by MagicSpam, but for some reason, we don't seem to be getting there.

So I have situations where Amazon AWS mail servers, Contant Contentact, MyEmma, etc..etc.. are trying to send emails to our customers, and they are being blocked as spam.

Once I get the specific email address past MagicSpam, and I check the email out for myself, more often than not, there
is nothing SPAMMY about it, there are occasions where it appears to be Bulk Mail/Campaign type stuff, so I could see
that happening, but even in those cases, as it's "amazon" i haven't seen a case yet of truly unwanted email coming from amazon or other "trust worthy mass and email services"

What's going on here?

Do I have to whitelist any and all amazon sending email addresses such as
@us-west-2.amazonses.com or do I need to see if there is a complete list of Amazon email servers and then allow those IPs
as to not have to individually search and clear legitimate inbound amazon e-mail?

And then do the same with all the other "trustworth bulk senders" and "email service providers"

Am I missing something here?

Why isn't magicspam storing emails and allow them to be released yet?

Isn't MagicSpam maintaining lists for things like Amazon, Constant Contact, MyEmma, etc..etc, as to generally ALLOW those senders as they are largely responsible in bulk mail?

Please enlighten me.

thank you!

magicspam

Re: MagicSpam Blocking AWS Email Servers and Similar Service

Post by magicspam » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:59 am

Hello cpanel-antispam,

Thank you for your post.

We understand that having legitimate messages blocked is frustrating
for you and your customers.

MagicSpam is designed to be a cost-effective and light-weight anti-spam solution
which knocks off the large majority of spam right at the edge.

That said, you may be pleased to know that the latest version of MagicSpam PRO for WHM/cPanel includes
a quarantine feature which gives you and your customers the ability to flag and deliver suspected spam messages
to the inbox, instead of rejecting them outright.

As the administrator, you decide if the subject of the spam message
should include a configurable string, for example "*****SPAM*****".

As the domain user, you can then access your MagicSpam PRO preferences
and toggle the quarantine feature on each "Spam Setting" and "IP
Reputation" rule by setting the "Status" to the middle position "FLAG".

With this new feature, good email should never again be accidentally blocked.

Regarding the mail sources you mentioned (Amazon AWS mail servers, Constant Contact, MyEmma etc.),
most of these appear on a specific BMS list used by MagicSpam called "MIPSpace-Poor" (List Number: 41).

MIPSpace is a list of IP addresses associated with known commercial
marketing companies, sometimes referred to as "Grey Area Spam".

Another advantage of MagicSpam PRO for WHM/cPanel is the ability to empower the customer with the choice of
using a specific BMS list or not.

We would also appreciate if you could send us your MagicSpam log files, highlighting entries where messages wanted by your customers were blocked. Please attach them with an email to support@magicspam.com

Please let us know if you have any questions.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

flaxton

Post by flaxton » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:16 pm

OK, I finally figured out that Amazon SES, MailChimp, Constant Contact, aweber, etc. etc. were all being blocked when they shouldn't be.

You say that this is in list MIPSace-poor. But I have that list turned OFF. Yet they are being blocked, with that list in the message.

Like this one:

/var/log/magicspam/mslog:2016-08-04 14:41:05 magicspam-daemon[29665]: SPAM[block_list (41)]: mua=no,ip=[54.240.11.78:a11-78.smtp-out.amazonses.com],helo=<a11-78.smtp-out.amazonses.com>,from=<0100015656db65f6-e814feb3-45c4-408f-b4d2-3977bf3e042b-000000@amazonses.com>,rcpt=<wayne.jenkins@greenvilleeastrealestate.com>

Here's a screenshot of my MagicSpam settings for blocklists:

Your website cuts off the right side of the image. Open the image in another tab and you'll see the settings are there on the right.

You'll notice that MIPSpace-poor, #41, is OFF.

This is on CentOS 7, Plesk 12.5.30, MagicSpam 2.1-5.2

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Hello flaxton,

Thank you for your post.

We understand that some of the users are still blocking the traffic on a reputation list #41, even though this list is turned off on the global level.

From the screenshot you sent us we can see that you are using MagicSpam Pro and the MIPSpace-poor, #41 is turned OFF.
With MagicSpam Pro when you disable the IP reputation list on the global level, users still have the opportunity to enable this list on the user level.
In order to fix this issue, make sure that the user does not have this list enabled on the user level.

Thank you for supporting MagicSpam.

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”