Email not getting scanned sometimes

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

indesignfirm

Email not getting scanned sometimes

Post by indesignfirm » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:05 am

I've had a wonderful last 30 days using MagicSpam, and will definitely keep my subscription. It has been WONDERFUL for us.

I've noticed that on occasion a spam message will arrive that is missing RDNS or something else that MagicSpam would typically catch. So today, I searched my magicspam log to see if the email was listed as HAM or SPAM, and noticed that the email was not listed at all.

This has only happened to maybe 1 or 2 emails a day. Considering the volume of spam we reject, this is more than acceptable, but I was wondering if there was any idea why this might happen. More importantly, is there something that I should do to stop it.

Thanks in Advance for your help.

Magicspam, Plesk 9.2.3, Linux 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5 x64, Postfix

magicspam

Re: Email not getting scanned sometimes

Post by magicspam » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:40 am

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience so far with MagicSpam. Now.. as to those messages that do not get scanned..

WIth your particular configuration of MagicSpam - linked with Postfix MTA on Plesk 9.2.3, we are linking our service through the Postfix policy restrictions. This is a series of 'rules' that determine if a message should be accepted or declined at various stages of the SMTP session. Postfix in turn has several other policies that it uses both ahead of and after MagicSpam.

There are some cases indeed where a message can completely bypass the MagicSpam scan.
  • The user has authenticated with a valid username / password
  • The connecting IP is on the trusted to relay IP list (config item mynetworks)
  • The connecting IP or sender is listed in the Plesk server wide white list
  • The connecting IP has successfully authenticated with POP3 (if POP before SMTP authentication is enabled)
This is a function of the Postfix MTA filtering structure rather than MagicSpam's ability to actually process the various cases where it should / should not trigger.

We hope this information helps.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”