Messages been blocked by MagicSpam

This is the area for a general support questions, discussions and information that you can read and share. Post your experiences, stats and tricks and tips that are not covered elsewhere. Remember, for questions please search the FAQ first, as your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

m0rpheu5

Messages been blocked by MagicSpam

Post by m0rpheu5 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:47 am

Hello guys, i have one client that import/export manything from all the world, so he have contacted with china, europe and usa, some emails getting been blocked by magicspam with this message:

Recipient address rejected: Dynamic Style reverse DNS IP=[60.251.147.223].Rejected by MagicSpam 1.0.4-5 (http://www.magicspam.com/).Visit http://www.linuxmagic.com/best_practice ... e_dns.html for more information>

but if you try to do a nslookup on that ip, you can see the DNS Reverse, so why this message got be blocked??

I got the same thing in the other server that i have, i sent a message from the other server to the server who has the magic spam, and the message return to me saying that i didn´t have the DNS Reverse, but i have, so i need to put the ip of my other server in the Exemption List. I did the samething with the IP of this client above.

I´m using the default config of Magicspam.

magicspam

Re: Messages been blocked by MagicSpam

Post by magicspam » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks for contacting us.

The reason that the message was blocked isn't because there is no reverse DNS entry. It's because the reverse DNS entry is a dynamic-style hostname, which is most commonly used by ISPs to denote home computers, which should not be sending email directly. Rather, they should be sending via their ISP's mail server.

If that IP is running a mail server, they should have a proper reverse DNS entry. Best practices state that a reverse DNS entry should resolve to the party responsible for the mail server, rather than their ISP. For example:

mail.example.com

or

gateway.example.com

The preferred method to resolve this issue would be for the other party to change their reverse DNS entry to match what the best practices recommend. However, you can also add an exemption for them as you mentioned, or you can add an entry to your hosts file so that your server thinks their reverse DNS is something else.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “General Discussions and Support Questions”