MagicSpam best settings - what is your setup?

There will always be opinions, both good and bad on how MagicSpam protection, rules and policies are used, and what the defaults should be. Different environments may have different needs. We try to find the perfect balance, and that is not always easy. Just remember that we have to satisfy millions of users.. not just one person.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

wdriver

MagicSpam best settings - what is your setup?

Post by wdriver » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi,

I have been using MagicSpam Pro for a number of months now and initially found it to improve spam filtering on my PLESK server. However, still some customer complaints coming through, so as an ISP I turned on more than the 'Recommended' rules. From doing this Spam pretty much stopped for customers and the feedback was excellent, except now a lot of legitimate emails were being blocked. So I went back to the Recommended settings.

Now knowing that MagicSpam has the potential to offer an awesome Spam Filtering system I am trying to figure out which rules are best to have on under:
- Settings > Server Policies (including Advanced)
- Settings > IP Reputation

We all understand that some spam will get through, it's inevitable and happy to accept that. What I am after here is what MagicSpam settings users are currently using to have the best Server wide coverage for all domains.

Thanks in advance :-)

Wayne.

magicspam

Re: MagicSpam best settings - what is your setup?

Post by magicspam » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Hello wdriver,

Thank you for your post.

The rules with the "Recommended" note next to them are the most common and effective for most MagicSpam installations.

Because you have the MagicSpam Pro version, your users are able to customize their own MagicSpam settings to meet their needs. In addition, the advanced option to Flag-only spam messages for individual rules in MagicSpam Pro can also provide an extra peace of mind that should any "spam" message is desired, your users have the ability to review them in the Spam folder (Plesk has the support for delivering to the Spam folder -- a selectable option in the MagicSpam interface)

Please note that your users can only customize the rules and IP reputation lists that are not enabled in the administrative level MagicSpam settings.

We would recommend informing your users about the MagicSpam options in their own interface where the options can be adjusted as needed.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

Return to “Discussions on Spam Protection Policies and Default Rules”