what is the wording on the rejection email?

There will always be opinions, both good and bad on how MagicSpam protection, rules and policies are used, and what the defaults should be. Different environments may have different needs. We try to find the perfect balance, and that is not always easy. Just remember that we have to satisfy millions of users.. not just one person.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

j*z

what is the wording on the rejection email?

Post by j*z » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:03 am

I have a client saying he had a few people not be able to send emails to him and that they got a bounce message. I see from another post that "MagicSpam rejects detected spam message right away with an rejection message to the sending server without accepting the email".

What is the wording on that rejection message?

magicspam

Re: what is the wording on the rejection email?

Post by magicspam » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:02 am

Hello j*z,

Thanks for your post and for your question. MagicSpam sends out a variety of verbose rejection messages back to the sending server. Which message is sent relies entirely upon how the sender's message was rejected. We have a rejection message for each rule in MagicSpam. Also, each rejection notice includes a URL where the sender can find more information about why they were blocked, and what they can do to fix their problem. We have included a sample rejection notice below so that you can see what one of these looks like.

Also, you can customize your rejection messages if you want to. This is done in the MagicSpam interface in the Settings -> Server Policies menu; the buttons are visible after you check the "Show advanced rejection message controls" box.
Server IP x.x.x.x listed as abusive.
See http://www.linuxmagic.com/power_of_ip_reputation.html for more information.
Protection provided by MagicSpam 2.1-1 http://www.magicspam.com
If you want to read each of the URLs included in the various rejection notices, you can find them all here (http://www.linuxmagic.com/best_practices/).

Thanks!
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

j*z

Post by j*z » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:12 am

Ok. Thanks for that. In part I wanted a way to verify if the message originated with MagicSpam and it seems all messages probably include "Protection provided by MagicSpam" and so it's a simple enough thing to know.

Didn't see the specific rejection wording from the link you sent, but I don't feel I need it at this point. I do see where I can customize the error message. Any thoughts on doing this? Should I be adding an "abuse@" email or some way to contact the server administrator? Seems it we be good to "friendly" these up a bit for those few legit emails that bounce.

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:35 am

Hello j*z,

Yes, they all include the "Protection provided by MagicSpam" snippet. If you are concerned about this, we do have white-labeling licenses available and our sales team at sales@magicspam.com can tell you more about pricing for this.

The rejection related messages are usually very short and the URL is where the really good information can be found. Some of our customers try to soften these up, but for the most part people just usually leave them alone (seeing as a very large portion of the time these rejection notices are being sent back to spammers). You could add an abuse@ address, but usually the sender will need to talk to their own postmaster about fixing the problem with their mail server.

Thanks again for the post, your questions and comments, j*z!

Rockoids

Post by Rockoids » Sun May 01, 2016 7:50 am

This page:

http://www.linuxmagic.com/best_practice ... .html#user

Has a bad link, in this sentence: "If you are a user sending email and it got blocked, you should read this section instead."

You cannot access the linked section, however, since it doesn't work.

Peace,
Gene

magicspam

Post by magicspam » Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 am

Hello Gene,

Thank you for your post and pointing that out. This site is deprecated however and you will find all rejection notices now point to spamauditor.org. For example:

http://spamauditor.org/best-practices/k ... gery/#user

We recommend upgrading your MagicSpam installation so that you can take advantage of this and the other new features included with all newer versions.

Thanks!

Return to “Discussions on Spam Protection Policies and Default Rules”