Emails with inline Images not being blocked

This is where the frequently asked questions, and responses is kept. You should do a quick search on any questions before posting to the general forum. Your question may already be answered.

Moderators: wizard, magicspam

wartangler

Emails with inline Images not being blocked

Post by wartangler » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:20 am

Magicspam seems to be working but bulk emails with in-line images keep getting through. Basically the email is an image promoting items, yet underneath the code reveals ramblings of a possible spyware infected PC.

to date i've tried locking down all the filters to no avail, this only managed to stop good mail getting through

anyone help?

magicspam

Re: Emails with inline Images not being blocked

Post by magicspam » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:55 pm

We can most certainly sympathize with this type of spam. One of the more common patterns that we have been seeing as a trend is that more and more spam is being leaked via 'freemail' providers, and as such causes an increased difficulty in blocking mail - particularly at the SMTP level.

This being said, if you happen to have some examples of the spam in question with the original headers intact, our spam auditing department would be interested in reviewing to determine if this is a case of new compromised networks that should be blocked or if there are any other methods or rules that can be adjusted to block.

Out of curiosity, are you also utilizing a mail body filter (ie: SpamAssassin) in conjunction with MagicSpam?
-- MagicSpam Support Team --

wartangler

Post by wartangler » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:43 am

Hi
the problem i have had all along is actually getting spamassassin to work with plesk and mailenable successfully, hence buying MagicSpam to add a certain level of spam filtering. so in answer to your question is No i haven't been using spamassassin as well.

do you have an address i can forward the emails to re the in-line images?

wizard

Post by wizard » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:42 am

If you have uncaught spam that can be forwarded with full headers intact, then feel free to sent them along to spamauditor@linuxmagic.com. From there our spam analysis team can determine if there are improvements, patterns, or new spam IP space that can be added to our internally maintained lists.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)”